School Direct Programme
Castle Consortium School Direct
Castle Consortium is a group of schools in South Gloucestershire, close to the city of Bristol. We include The Castle School in Thornbury, Downend School in Bristol, Marlwood School in Alveston and Chipping Sodbury School in Chipping Sodbury.
Castle Consortium is working with the University of Bristol in running a new model of Teacher Training: this will be delivered under the 'School Direct' programme. This programme blends the best of school-based teacher training with training support from the University of Bristol, long time 'Outstanding' (Ofsted) providers in the field of initial teacher training. Students on this programme will be awarded PGCE and QTS at the end of the training year, with the possibility of being employed by one of four schools (The Castle, Downend, Chipping Sodbury or Marlwood) the following year.
In particular, a placement with the Castle Consortium will involve you in
- guaranteed training at one of our highly successful and fully comprehensive schools, with immersion in classes aged 11 to 18
- the second placement in a suburban/rural linked school
- the opportunity of an arranged placement at a linked primary school
- full student status at the University of Bristol which in turn gives access to facilities, full access to the 10 libraries including the Education library located in the Graduate School of Education and all the on-line services, University e-mail, access to on-Line Learning Environments, University Union, access to the University Centre for Sport, Exercise and Health, student Societies and many more.
- a wide range of educational experiences: high academic success, expertise in SEND, a vast range of musical and sporting extra-curricular opportunities and more.
- a guaranteed job interview, provided we have a vacancy within our consortium and you are on track to complete the programme successfully
We have unsalaried places for September 2016 in Maths, English, Chemistry, Physics, MFL (French) and History. You can find more information on our courses on the UCAS website. https://www.ucas.com/ucas/teacher-training
Information on our partner schools can be found on their own websites:
Chipping Sodbury School: http://www.chippingsodburyschool.com/
Downend School: http://www.downend.com/
The Castle School: http://www.thecastleschool.org.uk/
Marlwood School’s ethos is laced with high levels of challenge, aspiration and support; we want our students to be resilient independent learners. The whole school environment; including classroom display, House activities and vibrant teaching and learning evidences this ethos. We acknowledge and build on the work of our primary partners with excellent transition materials and quickly create a real sense of belonging and productive direction. ‘Working together for excellence’ is something that should be a tangible feature of all that we do at Marlwood.